Friday, April 24, 2009

Pain in the neck

On Wednesday, I woke up and couldn't move my head.

It was mildly scary and really pretty painful. I had no chance of making it to work: even holding my head up without support was excruciating. I felt like a baby who's head bobs down because it's not strong enough to hold it up. But for me, when my head bobbed down, it hurt like crazy.

I spent the day in bed with about 10 pillows strategically placed under my head and my roommates running back and forth waiting on me. (I couldn't even pick up a glass of water...) I was going crazy by the end of the day from not moving or doing anything or being able to use the swivel function of my head. If you think about it, that's really quite a handy function.

The next day was a little better, so I decided to try to go in to work for a couple hours. One of my colleagues stopped me in the hall, laughed, and did the robot. Apparently I was involuntarily doing a pretty amazing attempt at it.

So, when I got home that night, I was pretty sick of this whole pain in the neck thing and had no desire to lay around anymore. So I baked.

But I had to keep it simple since I couldn't physically do any real rigorous baking and also had to bake with what we had in the house (which wasn't a lot since we think our oven is screwed up and therefore never really bake anything). I found a simple pound cake recipe on allrecipes.com and got to it. By the time I was done using what I had in the house, the pound cake had somehow turned into banana bread. I can't be certain, but I think it was the banana I put in that did it. Mm-mm. Sweet, soft, moist...yum.

*****
Banana Bread Pound Cake

2 cups flour
1 ts baking soda (the original recipe says 2 ts baking powder, but I only had the soda)
1 cup white sugar
3 Ts brown sugar (had some in the cupboard, why not?)
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 large ripe banana

Put all the ingredients into a bowl. Mix. Pour into bread pan.

Bake at 350 degrees fahreinheit (175 celsius) for about 45 mins.
*****

1 comment:

Tima said...

Sounds delicious! That you managed baking inspite of your pain in the neck, is in itself amazing...