Monday, March 30, 2009

Amazing

This weekend, I filmraced.

I've done it once before, and it was crazy then and it was crazy now. 24 hours to write, shoot, edit, and deliver (in person) a short film. My team consisted of some friends from work and a friend from college. I think we came out with a halfway decent film, given the time constraints. I'll post a link once we put it online.

I only slept an hour and a half during the 24 hour period, and our team took the term filmrace to heart when, 21 minutes before the deadline, we decided to sprint the 15 blocks to the drop-off location instead of taking a taxi. (It seemed logical at the time, but so did a lot of things... Sleep depravation will do that to you). We made it there with a minute or two to spare, sweating and dryheaving. Turning in the film was all that much sweeter, though.

I was mildly tired when I got home Saturday night, to say the least and, actually, I think I'm still catching up on sleep, even though I slept and slept and slept Saturday night. I just can't seem to stay awake lately.

My roommates and I took it easy on Sunday, luckily, and went for a stroll down by Union Square over to Chelsea. On our stroll, we walked by a hotdog joint, then did a doubletake, walked back and went in.
It wasn't the first time I had heard of Dogmatic Dogs (26 E 17th st, New York, NY 10003, 212-414-0600), I had read about them on one of my favorite food blogs, Chocolate and Zucchini, but I seem to remember that when I then tried to look them up, I read that they had closed down.

Here's what really happened. Dogmatic Dogs started out as a hotdog cart. Then they closed down the hotdog cart and made it into a restaurant. Which is where the miscommunication happened between me and the internet.

And just so there are no miscommunications between you and me, let me just say that these are no ordinary frankfurters. These are made from meat that's all natural, the no-hormones, no-antibiotic, free-range type animals. And you can have your pick between lamb, beef, chicken, pork, or turkey. Or asparagus. But that's not really a hot dog. It's just asparagus. And they come in baguettes with a hole in the middle, yummy crusty baguettes. And they're served with your choice of sauce, like mint yoghurt, sundried tomato feta, or cheddar jalapeno. I reccommend the truffle gruyere sauce. YUM!

The moral of this story is: sleep is amazing when you've been deprived of it and Dogmatic Dogs are just plain AMAZING. I can't wait to have them again.

No comments: