Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Easy-peasy

Hi!

*Sheepish grin*

Hey, remember when I made this big grandiose statement like a year ago that I would stop neglecting this blog? Ha.

Recipe below
Anyway, I'm back, not making any excuses for not posting except for that I've been studying the past year or so, and haven't felt like I had time. But I have continued to constantly come back- turns out I make the recipes I've put up here pretty often. And maybe because of that, forget the ones I haven't put up. So I want to keep this going, if only to have all my favorite recipes and food experiences in the same place and maybe some other people will want that too. Again.

I find myself in a situation right now where one era of my life is coming to an end and another one is about to begin, which seems to happen about once a year lately. In two weeks, I'm putting my stuff in storage here in London and heading home to the US and then Norway for the summer while I work on, and finish, my dissertation. In three months, my life as a student will be over and I'll once again be figuring out what to do with myself. I'm staying in London for the time-being, that much I know. That is a good thing, I'm not done with this city and this city isn't done with me. So stay posted after the summer for London food stuff. And possibly during for NYC and Norway food stuff. But I'm not making any promises. Cause I obviously can't keep them.

I'm at the stage in the moving process where I'm trying to eat up food by making meals with what I have left. This is a simple dish I've made twice now, to use up some onions, broccoli, and barley (which, over the course of this year has become my FAVORITE kind of grain cause of the texture. YUM. Yeah, I love grains, it is the truth.) It's not an epic dish, but it's yummy, and that's what it's all about.

*****

Onion, tomato and broccoli over barley

2 Ts vegetable oil
1 onion
salt and pepper
1/2 ts chili powder
half a head of brocoli
1/2 bullion cube
1 can chopped tomatoes
spices like marjoram, sage, tarragon, oregano, or basil
barley

Put the barley on to boil. Sometimes it takes a long time for barley to be done.

Cut the onion into strips. Warm some oil with salt, pepper and chili powder. Add onions and cook over medium heat until soft. Add broccoli, stir for a bit, then add tomatoes, bullion, and however much of the spices you want. It's done when the broccoli's done.

Serve over barley. (Or rice or pasta or whatever you please).

Easy-peasy.

No comments: